Saturday, November 10, 2007

Steak Diane and Basic Mashed Potatoes


My favorite food is beef. I know it can't be very good for you if you eat too much, so I try to limit it to once a week. And if I'm going to limit it, I'm going to make the tastiest steak that I can think of.

This recipe is one of the best steak recipes that I have ever tried. I've had this recipe since 1980's, from a cookbook called Food Encyclopedia. It looks like it would take a long time, but you don't really do all that much. And the sauce you end up with is heavenly. I remember ringing the neighbors' door and asking for more bread since we ran out of it and we still had more sauce to devour.

I usually serve this with mashed potatoes. Very easy to make. I'll just add an easy recipe right after the Steak Diane recipe. I have served it with rice but potatoes seem to complement this meal a little bit better.

Last time I cooked it I used onions instead of shallots since I didn't have any at home, and it still turned out to be great. But I usually cook it just as it is. Perfect!


STEAK DIANE

Ingredients:
3 well-marbled strip sirloin steaks, cut 1/2 inch thick
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 tablespoons brandy
2 tablespoons minced shallots or green onions
1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can beef consomme, chilled
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions:
Pound steaks with mallet or wine bottle to 1/4 inch thick. Pierce steaks with tines of fork on one end, roll up steaks. Unroll 1 steak into sizzling butter, and oil in heavy skillet. Cook 1 minute on each side. Remove to heated platter.

Place remaining steaks, one at a time, in hot-oil mixture; cook 1 minute on each side.

Return steaks on platter to skillet. Turn heat to high; pour brandy over steaks.

Ignite brandy; shake pan until flame is extinguished. Reduce heat; cook 1 minute.

Add shallots, cook 2 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley, stirring well. Add consomme, 1 spoonful at a time, to steak mixture in skillet; bring to boil. Spoon about 2 tablespoons pan liquid onto warm platter. Remove steaks to platter; keep warm.

Cook pan liquid vigorously until reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper; stir in Worcestershire sauce. Spoon over steaks; serve immediately.

Yields 6 servings.


Here is the basic mashed potatoes recipe:

MASHED POTATOES

Ingredients:
6 medium potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup hot milk or cream

Directions:
Wash and pare potatoes; cook covered 20 to 40 minutes in boiling salted water. Or microwave the potatoes after cutting in into small pieces to reduce cooking time.

When tender, drain well, mash with fork or potato masher.

Add rest of ingredients; beat with fork or heavy whisk until creamy.

Yield 6 servings.

If you like parmesan like I do you can add a small amount to the mashed potatoes, it gives a very distinctive taste...yummy.

No comments:

Search box

 
Mr. Rebates