Friday, November 16, 2007

Sloppy Joes - An American Classic

I love Sloppy Joes, simply because they are all over the place in your plate and they are wonderfully messy:) Especially if you have some french fries next to it and let the beef spill over the fries:) To me, it's the ultimate comfort food.

It's been years that I had made any but I found this recipe at Epicurious, and the readers have been making changes to it. So I came up with a recipe that I like the best. Let me know if you like them.

I used to cook Sloppy Joes with ready packets that you buy from the market or in a can. But had I known it's this easy I would have been cooking it from scratch a long time ago. At least you know what's going into your body instead of all the preservatives that come in cans.

The trick is to let it simmer as long as you possibly can. The more it simmers the better it becomes. If you have leftovers, just keep them for another day, it will actually taste better.


SLOPPY JOES

Ingredients:
2 Tbs Olive Oil
2 Onions, chopped
1 tsp Chili Powder
6 cloves crushed garlic
2 lbs ground beef
1,5 cups Tomato Sauce
3 Tbs Tomato Paste
1/2 cup Ketchup
1 Tsp Tabasco sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs Brown Sugar
2 tsp Cider Vinegar
2 tsp Dry Mustard
6 hamburger buns, toasted

Directions:
Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, add the onion and chili powder. Cook until soft. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 3 or 4 minutes. Take it off and set aside.

Increase heat to medium-high and add the ground beef to the skillet. Cook meat until browned (about 10 to 12 minutes). Drain the fat. Season with salt and pepper. Add the onion mixture you had set aside.

Lower heat back to medium and add the tomato , sauce, paste, ketchup, Tabasco , brown sugar, cider vinegar, dry mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring, until the liquid is reduced and the mixture is thick (15 to 30 minutes).

Season with salt and pepper and serve on toasted hamburger buns

Makes 6 servings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was wonderful!!! I was looking through your recipes and came across your Sloppy Joe recipe. The best food for a lazy Saturday afternoon. It also brought back memories of younger years. The most messy yet delicious Sloppy Joe I have ever had. I did place some of the left over on the fries and threw some grated cheese on it too. WOW!!!Thanks Diana.... keep them coming.

Search box

 
Mr. Rebates