Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Made up Toast Souffle

Although it is called a souffle, it has nothing to do with it. This is one easy dish to prepare which my mother would have ready when we came back from school. It reminds me of my childhood and always puts a smile to my face. I can't imagine any child that wouldn't like it, but grown ups seem to love it just as much as them. Not only is it easy to prepare, it is also very delicious. I guess you can think of it as a variation to grilled cheese.

I vary the cheeses a lot. Sometimes I use mozzarella instead of the Kashkaval cheese, sometimes I use Feta cheese and add some tomatoes, sometimes I use cheddar cheese, there is no end to what you can prepare it with, just use your favorite cheeses and enjoy.

You'll find the basic recipe below, which is from my mom. My mom used real butter and all fat milk, but I change that also, I use butter substitute and I use 2% low fat milk trying to bring the calories down. But make sure you don't use low-fat cheeses, they don't melt as they should.

This recipe doesn't have exact measurements, just eyeball it, it's impossible to make a mistake:)

MADE UP TOAST SOUFFLE

Ingredients:

Toast bread, white or wheat
Butter
Kashkaval cheese
String cheese
Gruyere cheese
Eggs, about 3 of them
About 1 lb. Milk

Directions:
Cut the edges from the breads and smear with butter. Cut the breads into four pieces. Butter a Pyrex dish and arrange the bread in a row.

Grate the cheeses and spread it over the bread. Add more of the bread over the cheese, and add the remaining cheese on top.

Whisk the eggs with milk. Pour over the breads making sure everything gets wet. Keep it in the fridge for 15 to 30 minutes.


Bake it in a 475 degree oven. It should not take a long time to have it ready, but keep an eye on it. Every cheese takes a different time to get ready. Mine took about 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks like comfort food, so yummy!

We would like to feature your souffle on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
blog.keyingredient.com/

Search box

 
Mr. Rebates