Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ratatouille Salad

Here is a great vegetable salad that's easy to make. I don't remember where I got the recipe from, but I do make small changes to the recipe.

Instead of boiling the eggplant, I grill it or roast it, depending on how much time I have.

I also like to grill the zucchini, but I keep the tomatoes fresh, grilling them doesn't work as a salad.

Add some goat cheese, and it becomes heavenly. You can even add some black olives to make it saltier. I like olives in salads, so I always seem to add them:)

You can substitute balsamic vinegar instead of lemon. It makes it richer.

Serve with some country bread that has been oiled and grilled. And some red wine and you have a complete meal:)


RATATOUILLE SALAD

Ingredients:
1 small eggplant (1 pound)
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced (2 cups)
1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch cubes. Heat 1 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to boiling in 3-quart saucepan. Add eggplant. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 5 to 8 minutes or until tender; drain.

Mix oil, lemon juice, basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, the mustard and pepper in large glass or plastic bowl. Add eggplant and remaining ingredients; toss.

Cover and refrigerate about 4 hours or until chilled.

2 comments:

david santos said...

Hello, Diana!
Good menu!
Have a nice day

Diana Caspi said...

Thank you David:) If you do try it, let me know how you liked it.
You have a nice day too:)

Search box

 
Mr. Rebates