Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Potato and Pea Salad with Chive Aioli

A very tasty potato salad recipe from Bon Appetit which uses Aioli, the garlicky Provençal mayonnaise, which is accented with chives and Dijon mustard. And it's really very easy to make.

I use non fat mayo for the dressing and you can't even taste the difference, I'm trying to cut down the calories:)

I don't like celery, so I substitute with cucumbers, which I love. If you have the time, you can take the seeds out of the cucumber, I actually like it with the seeds.
Be careful with the garlic. I do like garlic but this was a bit much. Add less than what recipe calls for and see if you like it. If it doesn't taste garlicky enough, you can always add more.

I'm also not so crazy about peas, but I didn't taste it all that much in the recipe, so you can leave it alone if you don't like them and see if you like the salad with them. You can use frozen baby peas. I'm also trying to add veggies to my diet:)


POTATO AND PEA SALAD WITH CHIVE AIOLI

Ingredients:
3 pounds small red-skinned new potatoes, unpeeled
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups frozen green peas, thawed

1 cup mayonnaise
6 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:
Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 25 minutes. Drain; cool. Cut potatoes into quarters. Transfer to large bowl; add vinegar and toss to coat. Mix in celery and peas.

Whisk mayonnaise, 5 tablespoons chives, mustard, garlic, and cayenne pepper in small bowl to blend. Add to potato mixture and toss. Season generously with salt and pepper.

Cover and chill at least 1 hour to allow flavors to blend. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.) Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon chives and serve.

Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Search box

 
Mr. Rebates