Sunday, January 20, 2008

Lentil Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette


I have made some changes to the original Bon Appetit recipe. It is really a filling salad, so for me this is a one dish dinner which is really great and healthy:)

I'm adding the original recipe below, and here are the changes that I make:

I always add thinly sliced cucumbers. Sometimes I also add cherry tomatoes. I like the taste of chives and the way it looks in dishes, so I add a little bit of chives. I use much less parsley, to me the amount in the recipe is too overpowering. I skip the radicchio as a cup, but add it in thinly sliced, it adds crunch to the salad. I sometimes crumble feta cheese or goat cheese on top and add some black olives if I add the cheese.

I like this salad when it is warm, but it also makes great cold leftovers, so try it both ways and see which way you like best. Enjoy:)


LENTIL SALAD WITH BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE

Ingredients:
1 1-inch-thick slice red onion plus 1 cup chopped red onion
3 fresh parsley sprigs plus 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup dried brown lentils

Sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

8 radicchio leaves

Directions:
Bring medium saucepan of water to boil. Add onion slice, 3 parsley sprigs and 1 minced garlic clove and bring to boil. Stir in lentils. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until lentils are just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Discard onion and parsley.

Stir oil, vinegar, mustard and remaining garlic in small saucepan over low heat until just warm (do not boil).

Place warm lentils in bowl. Add chopped onion, chopped parsley and warm vinaigrette; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.

Spoon salad into radicchio leaves; place 2 leaves on each of 4 plates. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Search box

 
Mr. Rebates